Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Smoothie-ooothie-oothie.

Now that we have a blender, I've been experimenting with green smoothies with LOTS of spinach in them... So far, so yummy! 

In fact, I like them so much that I've decided to do a cleanse of sorts starting Monday, for the next two weeks. I'm thinking of doing only veggies & fruits for the first week. So NO dairy, NO meat, NO refined sugars, NO alcohol & possibly NO refined carbs. (I'm thinking I'll keep carbs in there because I do love me some whole wheat pasta.) And I'll probably add back in meats like chicken & or fish the second week. I'm just really feeling the need to clean things up from the gluttony of the holidays!

I'm also toying with the idea of giving up coffee for those two weeks as well. I'd probably replace it with tea... dare I say, possible decaf tea! But I don't know. The Husband says I'm a "coffee addict". I don't actually argue this fact, I do LOVE coffee. Everything about it makes me happy. The way it smells, the way it tastes, the way it is warming when you want it to be or even refreshing cold. The way the cup feels in my hands... need I go on? So we shall see about that. 

How about you? Would you like to join me on my mini health vacation?It is definitely easier with a good support system & some friends to hold you accountable! (You can tweet me all you'd like for moral support!)

In case you'd like to join me here is the smoothie recipe I've found is the best smoothie base. I say "base" because it is a good starting point if you'd like to add other types of fruit & or veggies to change it up. Go get out a pen & paper now because it is complicated (just kidding!)...

Ready? Go!

2-3 handfulls of spinach
1 stick of celery (chop that sucker up first)
1-2 frozen bananas (cut into chunks prior to freezing)
1-2 cups of water (depending on how thick or thin you'd like it)

I've added frozen mango, strawberries, blueberries etc to this too. It really just depends on your taste & what you are in the mood for.

Well I am off to clean out the cupboards of any remaining junk foods left over from the holidays & prep some more bananas for freezing. 

xoxo


{ Photos taken with my iphone.}

1 comment:

papercrow said...

If you're up for experimenting, try this! Frozen pear, ginger, pulp and water from a young coconut and Swiss chard. YUM

Related Posts with Thumbnails